Under the general supervision of the Varsity Head Coach. The Sub-Varsity Coach is responsible for performing coaching functions for their designated sport. The Coach will develop individual and team proficiency by teaching and coaching individual students and teams in the skills of the sport, physical conditioning, safety, injury prevention and management, the rules and strategies of the game, team cooperation, and good sportsmanship.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provides training for athletes on all rules and skills of the designated sport, training on physical conditioning and injury prevention, and development of skills through various drills and individual coaching.
- Assists in scheduling, providing transportation to tournaments, and special sporting events as required.
- Assists in preparing for scheduled sporting events or practices and adheres to scheduled facility times.
- Maintains correspondence with players and parents to address any issues or concerns related to the team as requested by the Head Athletic Coach.
- Works with the Principal to ensure that each athlete is academically eligible for participation.
- Monitors athlete class attendance, behavior, academic progress and works with teachers to encourage academic growth.
- Attends all practices and games as directed by the head athletic coach.
- Monitors the inventory of athletic equipment (usage, storage, repair and cleaning of all equipment and uniforms).
- This position requires a high school diploma or general education degree (G.E.D.). Additional coursework or a Bachelor’s Degree in Education is preferred.
- Successful coaching experience at the high school level or college coaching/playing experience is essential. Head Varsity Coaching experience is highly desirable.
- Must advise, coordinate and support a staff of assistant coaches and student assistants.
- CPR/First Aid Certification is desirable.