- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- A valid Michigan teaching certificate with an endorsement in Adaptive Physical Education.
- Comprehensive understanding of the new Michigan Merit Curriculum, applicable standards and benchmarks in the field.
- Experience working with students with autism.
- Crisis Prevention Institute certification or willingness to obtain.
- Ability to work constructively with parents, students and fellow workers.
- Must pass criminal background check as required by School Safety Legislation.
- Plan and/or conduct a physical education program in assigned areas; gym and the community.
- Design comprehensive physical education curriculum that is functional, community involved, and with age-appropriate activities.
- Establish instructional and behavioral objectives for students, as well as update objectives periodically to ascertain the acquisition of skills.
- Ability to maintain student records and record progress.
- Ability to collaborate with other staff in planning and implementing IEP goals for students.
- Responsible to direct paraprofessionals in the gym area.
- Ability to establish behavioral supports or interventions.
- Perform all other duties as appropriate and determined by principal or administrator.
The Macomb Intermediate School District is an equal opportunity employer and is in compliance with all state and federal non-discrimination laws and regulations including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Applicants seeking employment may request reasonable accommodation under ADA and may be subject to post-offer physical examination and background check with the Michigan State Police Department.