Under the direction of the Director of Student Services and building-based site coordinators, the Adapted Physical Education Teacher provides assessment, consultation, services, and direct instruction in the area of adapted physical education based on individual students' IEPs. The Adapted Physical Education Teacher uses special instructional procedures as necessary to meet the individual needs of students with physical disabilities who are deemed eligible for APE services by the IEP teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides consultation in Adaptive PE techniques
- Provides appropriate and innovative Adapted PE sessions/services when assigned
- Design programs to meet individual student needs as specified on the IEP
- Participates in the IEP process from referral to implementation as appropriate, including assessments, report writing IEP meetings and development of goals and objectives
- Evaluates and monitors student progress as required for state progress monitoring
- Maintains accurate written records of student progress, goals, and objectives, and parent contacts.
- Continues to keep current on recent research, trends and development in Adaptive PE and related fields.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum of Bachelor's Degree (Masters preferred). Must hold or be in the process of obtaining a State of Maine certification with an endorsement in Adaptive Physical. Education (515) and an approved CHRC at the time of hire.
- At least 4 year(s) of relevant experience preferred.
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Citizenship, residency or work visa required.