The position serves as an office assistant to the designated supervisor to provide secretarial services and varied office clerical tasks in a school or department setting. Work requires responsible contacts with students, parents, and others. Employees exercise considerable independence and judgment in performing their work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Strong working knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic, and modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Good understanding of PPS school office operations, and Central Office organization.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures and the ability to apply these to work problems.
- Ability to work effectively with students, administrative and instructional staff, school employees, and Central Office staff.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and demonstrate strong organizational skills while also being flexible in schedule/duty assignments.
- Ability to maintain complicated records, assemble and organize data, and prepare reports from such records.
- Supports scheduling for the Assistant Principal and the Athletic Director.
- Provides back-up assistance for the Lead Secretary.
- Maintains a welcoming and responsive front office.
- Maintains visitor log for the building and ensures its accuracy.
- Supports admin with attendance data reports as needed.
- Interacts with students, teachers, parents, community partners, and specialists during the school day, providing support as needed.
- Receives visitors, including parents and other members of the public, and is able to respond to concerns expressed by community members and/or staff in a calm and professional manner.
Portland Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability, as defined and required by state and federal law.