The incumbent is responsible for assisting the athletic coach in supporting student-athlete academic success, recruiting prospective student-athletes following the College’s mission and student-athlete recruitment procedures, and planning and directing the applicable sports program/athletic team.
- Assists the athletic coach is supporting student-athlete academic success by ensuring students are meeting the College’s academic progress expectations and providing and enforcing appropriate interventions when there are signs of deficiency.
- Maintains positive relationships with Delaware high school coaches to assist the athletic coach in recruiting prospective student-athletes to ensure a team can be fielded for the duration of the entire academic year.
- Collaborates with other coaches to plan and direct the athletic team, assigning positions, preparing players for athletic competition, developing and implementing strategies to improve performance, and determining game strategy. Continuously evaluates and adjusts plan as changes occur and players develop.
- Models and encourages leadership, sportsmanship, teamwork, and positive citizenship.
- Assists in verifying athlete eligibility prior to competition across multiple semesters.
- In the absence of the athletic coach, serves as the responsible party for student-athlete safety and conduct during all team athletic practices, games, events and activities and notifies the athletic director of any issues.
- Assists the athletic coach in supporting marketing and public relations efforts by providing game/athletic contest results and highlights in a timely manner, sharing student-athlete success stories, and promoting athletics in the community using forums such as social media.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of rules, strategies, and techniques of the applicable sport. Knowledge of methods of physical conditioning.
- Knowledge of any divisional regulations pertaining to the sport.
- Knowledge of College, rules and regulations governing sports schedules and activities within and outside of College.
- Knowledge of equipment, materials, and supplies required to provide facilities suitable for the applicable sport.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, and direct a sports program/athletic team.