- Media Liaison with local, area, and national media: prepare and distribute weekly news release to media on each of SHSU’s varsity sports promoting upcoming events; game results to media after each SHSU athletic event; and, news releases to media about SHSU athletic department activities (i.e. hiring, schedules, promotional events). Supervise media interviews with SHSU coaches and athletes.
- Compile, edit, and disseminate statistics for SHSU varsity sports: Prepare weekly statistical reports for each team for coaches and media. Report statistics to Conference and NCAA for regional and national statistics compilations.
- Coordinate Sam Houston State Athletic website: Update website for intercollegiate sports on daily basis with goal of having up to date results and statistics on the web within 24 hours after event. Coordinate with coaches and SHSU athletic staff to keep schedule information on website current.
- Prepare athletic department publications: write and edit yearly brochures for Bearkat sports programs. Edit Sam Houston State athletic event game program. Work with Bearkat Partners to coordinate Corporate Sponsors ads in publications. Coordinate annual Bearkat Partners fund raising materials.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field.
- Two years experience in one or more of the following areas: sports, reporting, sports information work, sports news, data, general news, and information services.
- A combination of education, experience, and training that would produce the required knowledge and abilities could be considered.
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer.