Norfolk State University, a NCAA Division | institution, is seeking applicants for an Assistant Athletics Director for Athletics Communications. This candidate will assist with the management of the media relations department and serve as the primary contact for all communication and public relations efforts for the department of athletics. The position will report directly to the Associate Athletics Director for External Relations.
- Disseminates information for all assigned sports, including overseeing writing, editing, and distributing of sports information in the form of Athletic Department website stories, social media accounts, press releases, media guides, game programs, telephone interviews, etc. on a timely basis.
- Coordinates and reports compilation of statistical records, records of competition, and archival information on a timely basis.
- Spearheads the response to University and public inquiries as related to athletic events, student-athletes, and coaches in addition to serving as the primary contact for designated sports and cultivates/maintains relationships with local, regional, and national media to maximize coverage and exposure for the athletics programs through traditional and new media sources.
- Coordinates the nomination and promotes serious consideration of outstanding student-athletes as candidates for Conference, Regional and National awards, both for athletic as well as academic excellence.
- Media relations function on day of competition.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Educational or hands on experience related to media relations and/or mass communication.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient is social media platforms and website content.
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Proficient in current and developing trends (video, voice, data, and computing technologies).
- A successful criminal background check is required.