Position is responsible for coaching student-athletes in sport of basketball and preparing athletes for competition. Candidate needs to motivate student athletes to develop an appreciation and respect for the sport of basketball.
1. Works with players during practices and matches.
2. Assist in organizational meetings for team prospects and encourages students to participate.
3. Assesses skills and assigns team positions.
4. Helps develop a regular practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
5. Works with the head coach and athletic director in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
6. Coaches and instructs players, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
7. Evaluates players during practice and games to determine the needs for individual and/or team improvement.
8. Establishes and maintains standards of proper student behavior and supervision at all times.
9. Helps monitor the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met.
10. Follows established procedures in the event of an injury.
11. Assist in conferences with parents/guardians, as necessary, regarding the performance of their student.
12. Follows KSHSAA regulations governing the program.
13. Models ethical and sports-like behavior. Maintains appropriate conduct towards athletes, officials, opponents, and spectators
14. Follows established procedures for equipment, supplies and uniforms.