Title: UH Assistant Basketball Coach (Women)
Position Number: 0080934
Hiring Unit: UHM Athletics Department
Location: Women's Basketball
Date Posted: April 10, 2019
Closing Date: Continuous Recruitment
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Other Conditions: Continuous recruitment until programmatic needs are met. For best consideration, review of applications will begin April 18, 2019.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with all aspects of NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Program, including student recruitment and development, on court coaching, contest scheduling, compliance with NCAA, Conference and University of Hawaii rules and regulations, student-athlete academic achievement, and other duties assigned by the Head Coach. Additionally, the incumbent must maintain collaborative working relationships with administrators and coaches in the department, other college offices, and appropriate relationships with members of the media, donors, and other individuals interested in the sports program.
- Assist and participates in practices and intercollegiate competitions. Teach necessary skills from the basic fundamentals to the techniques and strategies of team play.
- Promote and foster a positive team environment, appropriate behavior, and sportsmanship by team members. Responsible for the conduct of team members both on and off the court.
- Promote the physical and mental well being of all program participants.
- Assist with evaluating, recruiting and selecting qualified prospects who have the ability to compete in the classroom and athletically. Actively seek out and encourage a diverse group of prospects and assist them through the application process. Work collaboratively with the Compliance, Student-Athlete Services, and Academics staff to qualify and process prospects in a timely and efficient manner. Make recurring contacts by telephone, written correspondence, off-campus visits and evaluations, and coordination of campus visits as assigned by the Head Coach.
- Assist in scouting of opponents including the exchange and analysis of film.
- Assist with overseeing the academic progress and success of student-athletes including promoting and maintaining an environment that encourages academic achievement as measured by academic eligibility, retention, and graduation.
- Participates in sports clinics, exhibitions, and camps as approved.
- Actively participates in fundraising, promotional, and public relation activities for the sports program.
- Responsible for performing the duties of a Campus Security Authority as defined by University policy and federal law with regards to the Clery Act.
- Maintains confidentiality to include but not limited to information, files and records that the incumbent may obtain or possess, in accordance with federal and state laws and University of Hawaii policies.
- Know, recognize and comply with the laws, policies, rules and regulations governing the University of Hawai'i and its employees, and the rules of the NCAA and affiliated conferences as now constituted or as may be amended in the future. Immediately advises the Director of Athletics or designee if there is reasonable cause to believe violations, whether by employees, students, or others, have occurred or will occur.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Graduation from an accredited four year college or university;
- One (1) year experience coaching basketball at the college or university level;
- or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of basketball as competed at the collegiate level.
- Division I basketball coaching experience.
TO APPLY: Click on the "Apply" button on the top right corner of the screen to complete an application and attach 1) cover letter indicating how you satisfy the minimum and desirable qualifications, 2) resume, and 3)names of 3 professional references (including title and contact information).
Inquiries: Laura Beeman, Head Coach; email@example.com
EEO/AA, Clery Act, ADA
The University of Hawai'i is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawai'i may be viewed at: https://ope.ed.gov/campussafety/#/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
In accordance with Article 10 of the unit 08 collective bargaining agreement, bargaining unit members receive priority consideration for APT job vacancies. As a result, external or non BU 08 applicants may not be considered for some APT vacancies. BU 08 members with re-employment rights or priority status are responsible for informing the hiring unit of their status.
Accommodation Request: The University of Hawai'i complies with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the EEO coordinator directly. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. For further information, please refer to the following link: https://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/accommodation-request/
The University of Hawai'i does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, color, national origin, or disability in its programs and activities.