- To carry out the aims and objectives of the sport program as outlined by the head coach and school administration.
- To instruct athletes in individual and team fundamentals, strategy and physical training necessary to realize a degree of individual and team success.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support the head coach in conducting the athletic program of the particular sport and the total athletic program of the Newington Public Schools.
- Coach individual participants in the skills necessary for excellent achievement in the sport involved.
- Assists the head coach in carrying out his/her responsibilities. (Pre-season, in-season and post-season).
- Provide by example leadership, motivational techniques, and attitudes that help to produce positive efforts by participants.
- Plans and schedules with the head coach a regular program of practice (including holiday or vacation periods).
- Be responsible for the junior varsity and/or freshman programs were deemed possible.
- Properly supervise student athletes at practice, in transit and at games.
- Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies and is responsible for its implementation.
- Maintains discipline and works to increase moral and cooperation within the school sports program and school community.
- Valid Connecticut Teacher Certification/Five Year Renewable Coaching Permit or meet the requirements to obtain a Temporary Emergency Coaching Permit (TECP).
- Valid American Red Cross CPR and Standard First Aid Certificates.
- Valid certificate from an approved Concussion Education course by the Connecticut Department of Education.
- Has knowledge and background in the assigned sport.