Newington High School
Newington High School
To carry out the aims and objectives of the sport program as outlined by the head coach and school administration. To instruct athletes in individual and team fundamentals, strategy and physical training necessary to realize a degree of individual and team success.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The following statements of duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of all personnel within this position.
- Support the head coach in conducting the athletic program of the particular sport and the total athletic program of the Newington Public Schools.
- Coach individual participants in the skills necessary for excellent achievement in the sport involved.
- Assists the head coach in carrying out his/her responsibilities. (Pre-season, in-season and post-season).
- Provide by example leadership, motivational techniques, and attitudes that help to produce positive efforts by participants.
- Plans and schedules with the head coach a regular program of practice (including holiday or vacation periods).
- Be responsible for the junior varsity and/or freshman programs were deemed possible.
- Properly supervise student athletes at practice, in transit and at games.
- Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies and is responsible for its implementation.
- Maintains discipline and works to increase moral and cooperation within the school sports program and school community.
- Promote respect by example through appearance, manners, behavior, language and conduct.
- In the case of emergency or authorized absence of the head coach, assume all responsibilities herein designated as those of the head coach.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- May perform additional tasks and duties as requested.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to adhere to all policies, rules, and regulations of Newington Public Schools, the Central Connecticut Conference (CCC), and the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC).
- Ability to deal with elevated levels of stress associated with the multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to attend out of season and in season meetings and professional development opportunities.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, in person or on the telephone, and in writing.
- Ability to respond to an emergency situation in an effective and timely manner.
- Ability to use a personal computer to complete job tasks and aid timely correspondence.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL AND MENTAL EFFORT AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
(The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Must have the ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone.
- See and read a computer screen and printed materials with or without visual aids.
- Hear and understand speech at normal levels, outdoors and on the telephone.
- Speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly.
- Ability to lift, carry, and/or drag 50 pounds.
- Physical agility to bend, sit on the ground or floor, to climb stairs, to walk and to reach overhead.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Valid Connecticut Teacher Certification/Five Year Renewable Coaching Permit or meet the requirements to obtain a Temporary Emergency Coaching Permit (TECP).
- Valid American Red Cross CPR and Standard First Aid Certificates.
- Valid certificate from an approved Concussion Education course by the Connecticut Department of Education
- Has knowledge and background in the assigned sport.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE:
Connecticut State Department of Education Certification required:
- Interscholastic/Intramural Coach (600)
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task or responsibility.