This position assists the head coach in carrying out the objectives of the athletic program. The employee must understand and abide by all building, Tacoma School District and Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises student athletes to promote effective student learning through participation in athletic activities.
- Assists the head coach in preparing athletes both physically and mentally to participate with confidence and self-assurance in athletic contests; administers discipline when necessary in a fair and consistent manner; emphasizes safety precautions; provides opportunities for each participant to achieve some success.
- Assists in overseeing practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive, and conducted on a regular daily basis with the idea of developing the athlete’s greatest potential; teaches basic fundamental skills of the sport; emphasizes and promotes good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches; abides by regulations in the Coaches’ Handbook
- Follows district procedures for handling injuries.
- Oversees the issuing equipment; maintains records including dates and times of issuance; assures the systematic return of all equipment, the cleaning and storing of equipment; performs weekly safety check for all equipment; holds students responsible for lost equipment; completes inventory lists and provides copies to the building athletic director.
- First Aid Certificate, CPR card and AED training are required.
- Red Cross Safety Training or Lifeguard certification is also required for swimming, diving and water polo coaches.
Tacoma Public Schools does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.