Provides secondary students an opportunity to participate and to assist in the supervision of the sport coached.
The Assistant Coach will possess a valid teacher’s certificate, appropriate activities experience in the secondary schools, ability to work with people, and knowledge of the sport to be coached. Must have CPR certification (MSHSAA requirement).
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Supports the head coach in conducting the athletic program of that particular sport and the total athletic program of Wentzville High School.
- Is loyal to the coach and to the team. He/she may have to give up some of his own thoughts regarding team strategy etc., to fit into the overall pattern as set forth by the head coach.
- Attends staff meetings when called by the head coach.
- Assumes any duties assigned him by the head coach pertaining to the overall athletic program of the particular sport. Some of these duties might be conducting portions of practice, scouting, handling equipment determining eligibility, public relations, statistics, etc.
- Acts in the absence of the head coach. He shall assume all responsibilities herein designated as those of the lead coach.
- Acts in some cases, such as freshmen level coaches in football and basketball, the assistant coach will assume some of the responsibilities of a head coach. These responsibilities would include submitting eligibility list, assuring physicals for an athlete before participation, recommending awards, etc.