Under direct supervision of the Head Coach of the football team, the Assistant Coach is responsible for assisting the Head Coach in the management and administration of the sports program and team. Understands the organizational culture, the role of athletics within the Simpson University community, and a willingness to consistently perpetuate and display the mission of Simpson through actions and words with athletes, coaches, university personnel and general public.
- Bachelor's degree in sports management, physical education, athletic coaching, recreation or another related field required; Master's degree preferred
- High school or 1-3 years intercollegiate coaching experience
- Playing experience and/or student assistant experience in respective sport
- Must have and maintain valid California driver's license and be able and willing to travel
- Strong ability to recruit, coach and develop student-athletes.
- Ability to scout opponents and break down game tapes for purposes of instruction to student-athletes.
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Instruct during practice sessions or workouts as assigned; may be assigned to work with a specific group of student-athletes on a regular basis. Assist in coaching during athletic events.
- Prepare plans for personalized instruction of student-athletes to be taught by the assistant coach during in-season and off-season. Instructional plans encompass in-season, off-season, and summer activities for student-athlete(s). Areas include technical aspect of sport, film study, sport research, and total athlete development.
- Attend seminars, conferences, and professional development opportunities for personal growth and the enhancement of student-athlete instruction.
- Assists with recruiting including calling prospective student-athletes, evaluating high school and junior college players, maintaining an accurate database for identification of potential successful student-athletes.
- Be knowledgeable and tutor student-athletes in national, conference, and institutional rules and regulations to ensure compliance with standards.