- Hold a New Jersey instructional certificate, or a county substitute certificate (N.J.A.C. 6:29-3.3 and 6:11-4.5).
- Hold and maintain first aid certification and CPR certification.
- Hold a valid driver’s license with no serious violations.
- Show evidence of successful experience in the assigned sport and in working with students or with student athletes.
- Have the ability to demonstrate the physical skills required of the sport, and be able to explain the rules and regulations governing the sport.
- Have excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral character and initiative.
- Exhibit a personality that demonstrates interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents and the community.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, using proper grammar and vocabulary.
- Develop a recruitment plan and selection process with performance criteria, approved by the supervisor, to attract students to the sport and team that is free of prejudice and stereotyping. Criteria should include attitudes, demonstrated skills, potential for growth and improvement, balance of skills for team development, and healthy and cooperative attitudes.
- Provide a program of instruction and coaching to develop individual and team proficiency in the physical skills of the sport, physical conditioning, safety, injury prevention and management, the rules and strategies of the game, and the attitudes and values of discipline, personal responsibility, team cooperation, and good sportsmanship.
- Incorporate into instruction, when appropriate, the Core Curriculum Content Standards,
particularly the Cross-Content Workplace Readiness Standards and the Comprehensive Health and Physical Education Standards. The purpose is to reinforce the school’s responsibility to ensure that all students meet and exceed the standards required for graduation from high school.
- Advocate a healthy and responsible life style for all students and adults participating on or assisting the team. Promote the concepts of the effects of substances (e.g., alcohol, tobacco, controlled substances and ergogenic aids), total physical fitness, and healthy habits for a lifetime of vigorous living.