To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the student shall receive instruction that will lead to the formulation of moral values, pride of accomplishment, acceptable social behavior, self-discipline and self-confidence.
- Has the ability to organize and supervise a total sports program.
- Has previous successful coaching experience in assigned sport.
- The head coach must have substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and at the same time must continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
- The success of athletic programs has a strong influence on the community’s image of the entire system. The public exposure is a considerable responsibility and community/parent pressure for winning performance is taxing, but must not over-ride the objectives of good sportsmanship and good mental health.
- The position includes other unusual aspects such as extended time, risk injury factor and due process predicaments.
- It is the express intent of this job description to give sufficient guidance to function. In cases not specifically covered, it shall be assumed that a coach shall exercise common sense and good judgement.
- Has a thorough knowledge of all athletic policies approved by the Reading School District Board of Directors and is responsible for their implementation by the entire staff of the sports program.
- Has knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations; implements same consistently and interprets them for staff.
- Understands the proper administrative line of command and refers all requests or grievances through proper channels. Is aware of all public/staff/departmental meetings that require attendance.