This position assists the head coach in carrying out the objectives of the athletic program. The employee must understand and abide by all building, Tacoma School District and Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises student athletes to promote effective student learning through participation in athletic activities.
- Assists the head coach in preparing athletes both physically and mentally to participate with confidence and self-assurance in athletic contests; administers discipline when necessary in a fair and consistent manner; emphasizes safety precautions; provides opportunities for each participant to achieve some success.
- Assists in overseeing practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive, and conducted on a regular daily basis with the idea of developing the athlete’s greatest potential; teaches basic fundamental skills of the sport; emphasizes and promotes good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches; abides by regulations in the Coaches’ Handbook
- Follows district procedures for handling injuries.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent and some coaching experience; must be at least 19 years of age (WIAA regulation); or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work and that meets federal and state requirements.
- First Aid Certificate, CPR card and AED training are required.
- Red Cross Safety Training or Lifeguard certification is also required for swimming, diving and water polo coaches.