This position assists the head coach in carrying out the objectives of the athletic program. The employee must understand and abide by all building, Tacoma School District and Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
- Supervises student athletes to promote effective student learning through participation in athletic activities.
- Assists the head coach in preparing athletes both physically and mentally to participate with confidence and self-assurance in athletic contests; administers discipline when necessary in a fair and consistent manner; emphasizes safety precautions; provides opportunities for each participant to achieve some success.
- Assists in overseeing practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive, and conducted on a regular daily basis with the idea of developing the athlete’s greatest potential; teaches basic fundamental skills of the sport; emphasizes and promotes good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches; abides by regulations in the Coaches’ Handbook
- Follows district procedures for handling injuries.
- Oversees the issuing equipment; maintains records including dates and times of issuance; assures the systematic return of all equipment, the cleaning and storing of equipment; performs weekly safety check for all equipment; holds students responsible for lost equipment; completes inventory lists and provides copies to the building athletic director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of building, Tacoma School District, and WIAA policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
- Knowledge of the particular sport.
- Ability to comply with WIAA coaching standards.
- Ability to exercise fairness in dealing with student athletes.
- Ability to motivate student athletes.
- Ability to conduct oneself in an ethical and exemplary manner at all times.
- Ability to maintain poise and composure during practice and games.
- Ability to relate to and work with students of differing athletic abilities.