Assistant athletic coaches instruct and work with athletes to prepare them for competition. Coaches help athletes to play their best individually or as a team in sports such as football, baseball, basketball, track and field, golf, tennis, and soccer. They are experts on the rules, strategies, and techniques of their sports. Coaches must also know about sports equipment, physical fitness and safety.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must hold a current First Aid Card and a valid CPR certification.
- Must be knowledgeable of proper fitness and conditioning techniques necessary for athletes.
- Must possess a strong comprehensive knowledge of the sport, preferably having participated in the sport at a collegiate or professional level.
- Fulfill the responsibilities of his/her teaching assignment as a first priority, if a district teacher.
- Coach students in the fundamentals and techniques of the sport, in sportsmanship, and proper place of sports in learning discipline and team cooperation.
- Adhere to the rules, regulations, stipulations, and policies of the Colorado High School Activities Association, National Federation rules, and Adams County School District 14.
- Assist with supervision of athletes and adjunct personnel assigned to the team.
- Communicate special needs to the head coach.
- Be fair and consistent in all decisions and judgments related to the sport participants.