The position of Assistant Coach is done for the purpose/s of assisting the head coach in designing and implementing the athletic program for assigned sport(s) in accordance with applicable rules and regulations; assist with conducting practices, motivating students, and instructing student athletes in game strategies and techniques.
- Assists the Head coach with instructing players in the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Organizes and directs individual and small group practice activities/exercises as directed by the Head coach.
- Assesses player’s skills, monitors players during competition and practice, and keeps the Head coach informed of the athletic performance of students.
- Assists with determining game strategy.
- Assists the Head coach with supervising athletes during practices and competition.
- Follows established procedures in the event of an athlete’s injury.
- Models sports-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards players, officials, and spectators.
- Distributes equipment, supplies, and uniforms to students as directed by the Head coach.
- Follows district and site procedures and policies; follows the district Athletic Handbook and Code; adheres to the Arizona Interscholastic Association (AIA).
- Oversees any unsafe conditions of the facility or area in which the assigned sport is conducted at all times athletes are present.
- Teaches student-athletes to perform sound, safe fundamental techniques of the designated sport throughout the season.
- Fosters ethics, good conduct and sportsmanship for all participants and coaches.
- Responsible for the safety and security of the team before, during and after events and traveling to and from events, including riding the bus with the team.
- Complies with time constraints for practice and contest schedules, including holidays/Saturdays, as well as off-season schedules.
- Promotes your school with pride and dignity at all times.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Head coach, Athletic Director, Principal or other appropriate administrator.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Must possess effective coaching techniques and skills. Must possess some knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies, and techniques of the sport. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, parents, and students.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
- Must complete NFHS courses entitled “Fundamentals of Coaching” and “Concussion in Sports” and provide all required certifications prior to the beginning of the designated sports season and the assumption of coaching duties.
- Must hold a valid DPS Fingerprint Card/fingerprint clearance.
- Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds to shoulder height and 50 pounds to waist height; and to bend, to stoop, to sit on the floor, to climb stairs, to walk and to reach overhead.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: Duties are normally performed in a school environment or outdoors. Duties may be occasionally performed on field trips away from school. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Experience: Job Related Experience
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Required Testing: -
Certificates & Licenses:
Drivers License & Evidence of Insurability
NFHS - Fundamentals of Coaching
Concussion in Sports
Continuing Educ./Training: As Needed
Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Assistant Coach - Out of District