This position will assist the Head Coach in the successful operation of the Saint Joseph’s University Baseball program and participate in the organization, development and implementation of a championship Division 1 baseball program. The individual will build and maintain positive working relationships with coaches, staff, and athletes, as well as work towards goals of excellence in all aspects of the program, representing the University, Athletics Department, and program with the highest professional and ethical behavior
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coach athletes, including the instruction of assigned specialty area(s), and help to develop the student-athletes skills for practices, games, and competitive events.
- Demonstrate/ instruct student athletes on sport performance principles, game strategies, including scouting reports, and safety rules. Provide sport program management support to the head coach. Provide functional supervision to temporary student employees.
- Assist in identifying individual and team strengths and developing strategies to maximize performance.
- Assist in the recruitment and evaluation of prospective student-athletes. Evaluate student-athletes’ abilities as a possible recruit or to improve the current student athletes’ technique to prepare them for competition.
- Assist with administrative duties and public relations.
- Participate in the organization and implementation of the program’s Baseball camps/clinics, fundraising activities, official and unofficial recruiting visits and the ongoing support and development of student-athlete academic success.
- Compliant with the rules and regulations of the Saint Joseph’s University, the NCAA, the Atlantic 10 Conference and any other governing body is of paramount importance to the University. The overall responsibility of this position is for the successful operation of the program in full compliance with all such rules and regulations. As a condition of employment, the Employee shall be required to participate in rules education programs offered by the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Organize all team equipment needs and work with Equipment Manager in the ordering, tracking and accountability of apparel working within the program’s operating budget.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Head Coach in disciplining student-athletes for infractions of rules, regulations and policies.
- Coordinate all team travel and submit all paperwork and reimbursements in required time.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
- Position requires frequent evening and weekend hours
- Extensive travel
- Ability to throw a high quality batting practice daily and hit quality fungos to position players.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 3 years coaching or playing experience at a collegiate or professional level.
- Demonstrate effectiveness in coaching.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of NCAA and Conference rules.
- Self-direction and motivation with the ability to work independently and work under pressure.
- Possess strong administrative skills, including the ability to prioritize, organize and budget.
- Current CPR, AED and First Aid certification must be maintained and current at all times.
- Valid driver’s license and successful clearance of motor vehicle record check.
- Successfully complete background check clearance under the Saint Joseph’s University’s “Minors on Campus Policy” (PA Criminal Records Check, FBI Fingerprinting and PA Child Abuse Clearance Check).
- Master’s degree
- 5 years of coaching experience