The incumbent is responsible for coaching student athletes and assisting in the management and administration of the intercollegiate track and field program within the guidelines, rules and regulations of Alcorn State University, the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough and accurate knowledge in the subject sport.
- Working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Strong knowledge of track & field/cross country skills and strategies.
- Good communication skills, verbal, written and interpersonal.
- Strong coaching and recruiting skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to recruit effectively.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists with year round recruitment of high school and junior college players, including traveling to prospective games/events, phone calls and letters to both coaches and players
- Assists with delivering coaching instructions in a variety of learning styles.
- Assists with pre/post workouts.
- Ensures tapes/video equipment are prepared or home and away games and exchange tapes with opponents.
- Records statistics for each game.
- Represents Alcorn State University and the Men’s and Women’s Track & Field program in an professional manner.
Alcorn State University is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Alcorn State University is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.