This position is responsible for assisting in all phases of the men’s basketball program as it relates to the mission of the University of Richmond Department of Athletics. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to coaching, recruiting, and providing a positive collegiate experience for student-athletes.
The 3rd Assistant Coach must:
- Serve as liaison to support staff including sports information, sports medicine, strength and conditioning and basketball operations.
- Serve as liaison to admissions coordinator
- Identify, evaluate and recruit quality prospective student-athletes.
- Schedule Division I college basketball opponents to meet the department’s strategic expectations.
- Maintain relationships with hundreds of high school and club coaches to ensure we are recruiting quality student-athletes
- Plan and coordinate all on-campus recruiting visits
- Work primarily with the guards in skill development, fundamentals of the offensive system and game strategy.
- Develop and maintain a rapport with student-athletes to ensure there is proper communication between coaches and players.
- Supports entire staff in the development of current student-athletes
- Be committed to assisting student-athletes achieve academic success.
- Display an unyielding commitment to honesty and integrity.
- Display an unyielding commitment to compliance with NCAA, Atlantic 10 and University of Richmond
- Assist the Head Coach in the development of a sports program that challenges student-athletes to improve and succeed individually and as a team.
- Assist the Head Coach in creating a positive educational environment that promotes personal growth for student-athletes.
- Work effectively within the structure of the Athletic Department.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the head coach.
- A thorough knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations is required.
- A demonstrated expertise in coaching of men’s basketball is required for this position.
- The ability to work in concert with the Head Coach to lead and motivate student-athletes is a fundamental competency.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to coach specific segments or groups with the sport is a prerequisite.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required and a Master’s degree is preferred for the position.
- Previous experience on the collegiate level is highly desirable for this position.
- Full-time, exempt position