Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments - listed at the bottom of the page - must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
Willamette University announces a full-time position for an Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach. Assists the Head Coach with all aspects of the men’s basketball program, including, but not limited to individual player development, position skill-work, the planning and execution of practice and games, opponent scouts, on and off-campus recruiting, as well as various administrative duties for the program and camp. This position will also serve as a Position Coach, Director of Scouting, Social Media Coordinator and Camp Director.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following functions, which are not listed in any particular order of importance or significance:
- Assists with all aspects of the men’s basketball program.
- Recruits qualified student-athletes for admission to a demanding academic environment.
- Provides leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student-athletes, including counseling team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters.
- Will break down film and provide scouting reports on all opponents.
- Teaches the fundamental principles and techniques of basketball skills (i.e. competition, traditions and sportsmanship) as well as the philosophy of the sport.
- Projects and promotes an inclusive educational environment.
- Is proactive in all matters pertaining to safety among staff and participants.
- Serve as the director of all summer camps Manage all social media platforms for the men’s basketball program.
- Cooperate with all coaches and administrative staff within the athletics program to enhance overall department operation and student-athlete experience.
- Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- At least two years of successful experience in collegiate basketball as either a player, coach, or the equivalent.
- Ability to effectively teach and coach students in both an individual and team setting.
- Must demonstrate strong communication and organizational skills and must be able to work effectively with staff, faculty and other members of the university.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both orally and in writing, including the ability to communicate instructions pertaining to athletic matters in an athletic coaching setting.
- Ability to execute those physical activities required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people in a manner that positively portrays the university and its programs, personnel, and philosophies.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of diversity and inclusion best practices .
- Must possess a current driver’s license valid in the state of Oregon or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire date and satisfactory driving record insurable by the university’s insurer.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Ability to effectively communicate with and connect with recruits and student-athletes.
- Knowledge of using social media as a professional platform.
- Technically proficient with Mac or PC, Microsoft Office Software and the ability to learn and navigate recruiting and video software.
- Demonstrated commitment to recruiting and working with students and colleagues from underrepresented groups to create an inclusive and welcoming environment.
TYPICAL WORK SCHEDULE :
Monday – Friday 8 am – 5 pm is typical with extended hours from October - March. Weekend work is common.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
Ability to execute those physical activities required to perform the essential functions including, but not limited to, regular standing, sitting, and being mobile; frequent walking, running, and reaching; occasional throwing, pushing, pulling, lifting, and carrying weights up to 100 lbs.; continual talking and hearing both in person and on the telephone; frequent keyboarding; regular seeing; and all other activities required to perform essential functions.
All University positions require that candidates submit to a criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the position.
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled Resume:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.