The assistant coach for SUNY Cortland Men’s Ice Hockey assists in all aspects of the administration and operation of a nationally competitive athletic program. Cortland Athletics fosters a student-athlete environment conducive to excellence in athletics, academics, and personal growth through diverse and inclusive experiences at the university and the community.
- Demonstrate effective coaching through content knowledge, practice construction and execution, and the affective dimension (e.g., interpersonal interactions, enthusiasm, respect and rapport).
- Instruct student athletes in physical health (strength, conditioning & skill training), individual/team concepts, and safety.
- Maintain and/or build the sport program that is competitive at the conference level.
- Supervise athletes and monitor the facilities for purposes of safety and facility security. Recruit prospective student-athletes in accordance with the NCAA, SUNYAC and SUNY Cortland rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Recruit adequate numbers of student athletes with sufficient skill to be as competitive as possible within the guidelines set by the relevant athletic conference(s) and the policies and procedures of the university.
- Assess academic performance of student athletes at least once each semester to ensure the ongoing eligibility of athletes and monitor their academic progress; academic retention of student athletes must at minimum mirror the retention rate of the college.
- Ability to recruit, inspire, mentor, coach and teach highly talented student-athletes.
- A strong identification with and support of SUNY Cortland mission, vision and campus priorities.
- Ability to adhere to all policies, rules and regulations of SUNY Cortland, SUNY System, and applicable athletic conferences.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public. Ability to communicate effectively – via technology, in person, and in writing.
- Ability to represent the department and college in a friendly, courteous and professional manner. Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment as needed.
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgement based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities. Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner.