Under the supervision of the Head Coach, the purpose of this position is to educate and work with Harvard student-athletes in a competitive, intercollegiate athletic setting. By using inter-collegiate competition and all related activities, the assistant coach will serve as a teacher and mentor to build student character, prepare students for a constructive and effective life, and teach valuable lessons including work ethic, discipline, resilience, persistence, teamwork, and selflessness.
- Assists Head Coach in developing student-athletes, training effectively and strategically, and practice planning, with the goal of supporting individuals and team to perform at their highest potential.
- Develops, coordinates, and plans assigned portions of practices and game management consistent with Head Coach’s strategic vision.
- Analyzes video to scout opponents and develop strategies for team development.
- Executes a student-athlete talent recruitment plan and retention strategy consistent with values of excellence and inclusion.
- Effectively leads and communicates with students by generating enthusiasm for the team through credible coaching.
- Requires at least 2 years of coaching experience and/or collegiate, professional, or Olympic playing experience.
- Requires substantial mastery of sport-specific knowledge and relevant issues.
- Understands the philosophy, principles and policies of college athletics (including the University Conflict of Interest and Commitment policy).
- Requires moderate management and leadership knowledge.