The Assistant Coach will assist the head coach in the leadership and direction of all phases of a successful and competitive men’s and women’s track and field program. Macalester College aims to hire those who represent the college and its athletics program with honesty, integrity, and sportsmanship at all times.
- Practice and Competition - Organizes, prepares, and conducts safe and strategic individual and team training sessions and competitive strategies for throwers. Executes appropriate coaching decisions during practice and competition and ensures the welfare of the student athletes representing their program.
- Recruiting - Provides successful recruitment, yield and retention of academically and athletically qualified student-athletes in a rigorous academic environment. Serves as an effective recruiter for the throwers, working within the parameters of Macalester, MIAC and NCAA rules.
- Game Management & Travel - Assists with the preparation, set up, and event management needs at home competitive events. Assists with transportation, lodging and meals in connection with off-campus competition. Ensures that the team represents the college at the highest level while off-campus. Helps manage equipment replacement and inventory of uniforms.
- Maintains valid and annual certifications in NCAA Rules test, CPR/AED, First Aid, Bloodborne pathogens safety, and van-driver certification.
- Valid driver's license required.
- 1 -3 years of previous collegiate coaching experience preferred.
- Effective teaching methods and excellent leadership, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, parents and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- General proficiency in current office computer technology.
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, and women. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.