Serves as Assistant Athletic Coach for the Women’s Basketball Intercollegiate Athletics Program. Assists with recruitment, on-the-floor coaching, and monitoring academic performance and social development of student-athletes. Assists with department fund-raising and community involvement. Provides leadership for all aspects of the women’s basketball program.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate area of specialization.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
One year of coaching experience at the collegiate level or above; or three years of coaching experience at the high school level.
Successful experience as a graduate assistant or intern in an intercollegiate athletic program is acceptable for up to one year of the required experience.
CPR/AED certification or ability to obtain within two months of employment.
Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel throughout the country.
Master’s degree from an accredited institution and NCAA Division I coaching experience.
Demonstrated commitment to rules/policy compliance and student-athlete success both academically and athletically.
Knowledge of all aspects of the sport of basketball and the ability to teach/coach collegiate student-athletes toward acquisition of those skills.
Ability to adapt quickly to changing student needs and maintain consistent communication with supervisors and support staff in the Athletic Department.
Knowledge and understanding of intercollegiate recruiting practices.
Ability to identify athletic and academic talent.
A strong commitment to guide student-athletes toward successful completion of an undergraduate degree while participating in intercollegiate athletics.
Ability to interact and represent FGCU with a diverse constituency of students, faculty, alumni and media.
Ability to exercise independent judgment, discretion, and flexibility.
Demonstrated management, organizational, motivational and communication skills.
Comfortable using current technology.
Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations and a strong commitment to maintain compliance with those rules and regulations.
- Provides assistance to the Head Coach, Women’s Basketball with activities associated with the program and student-athletes including, but not limited to, recruitment, on-the-floor coaching, video work, and community involvement.
- Provides leadership for all aspects of women’s basketball to ensure a highly competitive and successful program.
- Serves as a role model to assist the team members in developing and displaying appropriate behavior and sportsmanship expected of athletic teams and individuals representing FGCU.
- Observes athletes during competition and practice to determine the need for individual or team improvement. Teaches players specific tasks and skills before, during, and after practice.
- Supports the student-athlete concept and demonstrates concern for the health, safety, and welfare of each student-athlete.
- Provides reports and information concerning the women’s basketball program as required.
- Supports and monitors academic performance and social development of the student athletes. Maintains discipline and development programs. Enforces team discipline and policies by providing guidance and counsel to student athletes.
- Conducts fund-raising activities.
- Attends off-campus games for the purpose of contact and evaluation.
- Manages mailing of recruitment materials and recruiting information. Maintains contact with prospective student-athletes.
- Plans campus visits with prospective student-athletes and their parents.
- Coordinates all enrollment activities of student-athletes.
- Responsible for proper handling of university funds as they pertain to ethical and budget issues.
- Supports leadership development, team development, and community service.
- Collaborates with athletic staff to foster partnerships between women’s basketball and local and campus communities.
- May represent the university, including speaking engagements, at various business and civic group meetings regarding the women’s basketball program.
- Complies with all University, Atlantic Sun Conference, or Coastal Collegiate Swimming Association (CCSA) regulations, as well as all NCAA rules and regulations. Remains current with all changes in NCAA, as well as changes to University, Atlantic Sun Conference and CCSA rules and regulations regarding intercollegiate athletics. This includes the requirement for self-reporting any possible rule violations and participation in the annual NCAA continuing education programs including passing the NCAA certification test. Further, you are advised that any violation of NCAA rules is prohibited and may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.