The Assistant Coach will provide instruction, training and motivation to prepare student-athletes for practices, game or competitive events. You will demonstrate/instruct student athletes on sport performance principles, game strategies and safety rules, provide sport program management support to the head coach and evaluate student-athletes’ strengths and weaknesses as possible recruit or to improve the current student athletes’ technique to prepare them for competition.
- Observe athletes in practice and training, analyze performance data/statistics and instruct athletes on technique.
- Collect and analyze tactical/statistical data and game film of opposing teams with student-athletes and recommend game-day strategies for student athletes.
- Plan, schedule, organize and conduct practice sessions.
- Recruit potential student-athletes via telephone calls, letters, emails or home visits.
- Make recommendations regarding whether or not to extend official campus visits and/or athletic grant-in-aid support to head coach.
- Detail student-athlete assessments through written recruiting reports/notes and provide recommendations on student-athlete recruitment.
- Recommend locations and student-athletes to be targeted for future recruitment efforts.
- Partner with strength and conditioning staff and athletic trainers on student-athletes overall physical preparation and health status.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 2 years coaching or playing experience at the collegiate level or above.
- Knowledge of sport-specific fundamentals, techniques and safety rules & regulations.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, communicate, and adhere to University, Big Ten Conference and NCAA policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Excellent communication (oral & written), planning, organizational, interpersonal, interviewing, strength training and counseling skills.
- Ability to recruit on a national level, instructs and motivates student-athletes on sport fundamentals, techniques and safety rules and regulations, and provides academic and personal mentoring.
- Ability to influence and build positive relationships among diverse individuals including student-athletes, parents, coaches, media, faculty, staff, students and general public.