UCLA is proud of its comprehensive athletic program and heritage. The collective accomplishments of Bruin teams and athletes are testimony to the efforts of many dedicated and talented individuals: the student-athletes themselves, as well as coaches, administrators, and support staff. The athletic department also benefits from the strong support of faculty, students, alumni, and fans with fundraising playing a significant role in the continuation of these collective accomplishments.
Under the general direction of the Assistant Athletic Director, Development, the Assistant Director, Development will be responsible for implementing and overseeing strategies for identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors and prospective donors to UCLA Athletics. This individual will regularly interact with prospects and donors through personal meetings, telephone conversations, correspondence, and attendance at special events including UCLA Athletics competitions. The Assistant Director will work to achieve aggressive UCLA Athletics fundraising goals which include raising $15 million dollars annually through the Wooden Athletic Fund and $300+ million through the UCLA Centennial Campaign. This individual will assist in the management of a variety of fundraising programs and special events in the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, with emphasis on the discovery, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and engagement of donors. The Assistant Director will help determine overall goals and objectives for annual gifts, planned gifts, special projects, and capital projects. This individual will assist in the design and implementation of strategies for cultivation and solicitation leading to closing of major gifts for UCLA Athletics. In addition, the Assistant Director must possess the ability to adhere to and comply with Department, University, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
Percentage of Time:
Qualifications for Position
1. Highly detail-oriented with demonstrated skill in organizing work, setting priorities and following through on numerous assignments with minimal direction in a dynamic and ever-changing environment while maintaining a positive attitude.
2. Analytical skill and ability to exercise independent judgment, initiative and resourcefulness in evaluating information, identifying and solving problems and making decisions to optimize effectiveness.
3. Works equally well independently and as part of a team with strong ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external constituents.
4. Demonstrated ability in supervising volunteers, including organizing projects, delegating, training and reviewing progress.
5. Proficiency in Microsoft Suite of applications such as Outlook, Word. Excel etc., with ability to learn new technologies in a prompt and efficient manner.
6. Strong communication skills to express both orally and in writing, the mission of the University and the fundraising goals of the campus, especially as they relate to the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
7. Demonstrated ability to write creative, concise and grammatically correct, letters and other written materials. Ability to prepare reports and analyze data.
8. Willingness to work a "flex" schedule, including nights and weekends as required by professional responsibilities.
9. Demonstrated ability to adhere to and comply with NCAA, PAC-12, and University rules and regulations.
10. Knowledge of University and Athletic Department fiscal policies as well as a skillful knowledge of basic accounting principles and general knowledge of Internal Revenue Service Tax-deductibility policies are preferred.
11. Working knowledge of principles and practices of annual fundraising in a major university as well as skill in identifying and soliciting charitable gifts from individuals is preferred.
12. Demonstrated knowledge of critical issues in collegiate athletics and familiarity with terminology associated with athletics, fundraising and ticketing are preferred.
13. Knowledge of Archtics and CRM computer systems is preferred.
Additional Posting Information