James Madison University, a Division I Member of the NCAA and the Sun Belt Conference (as of July 1, 2022), is seeking an Assistant Director of Athletics Communications. This is a full-time, classified exempt salary position with full university benefits. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting the Athletics Communications staff with promoting the student-athlete experience at JMU as it relates to coverage of 18 Division I sport programs with an emphasis on digital and social media.
- Serving as the primary communications contact for women’s basketball and other sports to be determined.
- Sport duties include being responsible for social media, creative and web content, game notes, statistics and media relations. Emphasis is placed on constantly-evolving strategies and methods for content and promotion of an athletics program in the current digital age.
- Working in a team-oriented and collaborative environment with coaches, other athletics staff and external constituents and within the construct of overall departmental communication strategies for all sport programs.
- Providing assistance in numerous other sports and ensure compliance with all relevant institutional, Sun Belt, NCAA rules.
- Experience in an intercollegiate or professional sports team’s communications office with student assistant or internship experience being acceptable as part of the experience.
- Applicants must also possess excellent writing and editing ability; knowledge of AP Style, graphic design (Photoshop) experience; desktop publishing (InDesign) experience and knowledge of various web software programs, game operations and various statistical programs (NCAA Live Stats, Stat Crew, etc).
- Candidates must be highly motivated, energetic and be able to manage a work schedule that includes some weekend and evening work.