The Assistant Athletic Director for Strategic Communications is responsible for the development, coordination and implementation of athletics media relations, brand awareness, recruitment efforts and marketing plans for the university’s athletics programs. These duties include but are not limited to social media & web content, video stories, press releases, press conferences, statistics, and overall communication efforts for the university’s 17 current intercollegiate sports. In addition to supporting the staff and student-athletes within the athletics department, the Assistant Athletic Director for Strategic Communications works closely with members of the University Communications and Marketing department to promote the mission, news, and accomplishments of UW-River Falls’ athletics programs.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the athletics communications office.
- Recruit, train and supervise professional and student staff including one part-time assistant director, student interns and work-study students.
- Develop and oversee athletics communication budget including purchasing and student worker salaries.
- Develop and implement Athletics Department strategic digital communications plan, including annual review.
- Oversee maintenance of Athletics Department social media accounts and develop social media strategies to increase engagement across a variety of platforms.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, communications, sports management or a related field.
- Minimum four years of post-college experience in an athletics communication or sports information position involving media relations, basic layout and design, printed materials development and production, athletics event reporting, project management and statistical information development.
- Excellent writing, editing, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Familiarity with InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, image-editing and web-editing software.
UW-River Falls is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer subject to all state and federal regulations pertaining to non-discrimination based upon sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, marital status, age, arrest and/or conviction record, veteran or military status. All persons, especially women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.