Reporting to the Director of Sports Nutrition, this position will collaborate with VCU Athletics to support the health and well being of all student-athletes by providing education to all coaches, healthcare providers, and student-athletes on safe and proper fueling for competitive performance using the latest scientific-based evidence and NCAA guidelines as well as be knowledgeable in supplement education and regulation.
- Provide nutritional care and education to student-athletes, coaches and sports medicine staff to maximize student-athlete performance, health and well-being;
- Assess and analyze dietary practices, body composition, and energy balance (intake and expenditure) of student-athletes in the context of athletic performance and health;
- Provide structured meal plans if deemed necessary by clinical judgment;
- Counsel student-athletes on optimal nutrition for exercise training (match nutrition to training phases and goals), competition, recovery from exercise, weight management, hydration, travel, and supplementation;
- Counsel student-athletes on achieving and maintaining a level of body mass, body fat, and muscle mass that is consistent with good health and good performance in collaboration with the Sports Performance Team.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition or closely related field;
- 2 years experience (GA or internship experience is acceptable);Familiarity with NCAA regulations regarding the health and safety of student-athletes;
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.