The position of Assistant Coach is done for the purpose/s of assisting the head coach in designing and implementing the athletic program for assigned sport(s) in accordance with applicable rules and regulations; assist with conducting practices, motivating students, and instructing student athletes in game strategies and techniques.
- Assists the Head coach with instructing players in the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Organizes and directs individual and small group practice activities/exercises as directed by the Head coach.
- Assesses player’s skills, monitors players during competition and practice, and keeps the Head coach informed of the athletic performance of students.
- Assists with determining game strategy.
- Assists the Head coach with supervising athletes during practices and competition.
- Follows established procedures in the event of an athlete’s injury.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
- Must complete NFHS courses entitled “Fundamentals of Coaching” and “Concussion in Sports” and provide all required certifications prior to the beginning of the designated sports season and the assumption of coaching duties.
- Must hold a valid DPS Fingerprint Card/fingerprint clearance.
- Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds to shoulder height and 50 pounds to waist height; and to bend, to stoop, to sit on the floor, to climb stairs, to walk and to reach overhead.