To carry out the aims and objectives of the sport program as outlined by the head coach and school administration. To instruct athletes in individual and team fundamentals, strategy and physical training necessary to realize a degree of individual and team success.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support the head coach in conducting the athletic program of the particular sport and the total athletic program of the Newington Public Schools.
- Coach individual participants in the skills necessary for excellent achievement in the sport involved.
- Assists the head coach in carrying out his/her responsibilities. (Pre-season, in-season and post-season).
- Provide by example leadership, motivational techniques, and attitudes that help to produce positive efforts by participants.
- Plans and schedules with the head coach a regular program of practice (including holiday or vacation periods).
- Be responsible for the junior varsity and/or freshman programs were deemed possible.
- Properly supervise student athletes at practice, in transit and at games.
- Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies and is responsible for its implementation.
- Maintains discipline and works to increase moral and cooperation within the school sports program and school community.
- Valid Connecticut Teacher Certification/Five Year Renewable Coaching Permit or meet the requirements to obtain a Temporary Emergency Coaching Permit (TECP).
- Valid American Red Cross CPR and Standard First Aid Certificates.
- Valid certificate from an approved Concussion Education course by the Connecticut Department of Education
- Has knowledge and background in the assigned sport.