Position is responsible for coaching student-athletes in game strategies and techniques to prepare them for athletic competition and effectively provide the best possible education for each student-athlete. Position motivates student-athletes to develop an appreciation of the sport.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the head coach with instructing players in the rules, regulations, equipment and techniques of the sport.
- Assess player’s skills, monitor players during competition and practice and keeps the head coach informed of the athletic performance of the students.
- Work within the basic framework and philosophy of the head coach of that sport and assists with determining game strategy.
- Assist the head coach with supervising athletes during practices and competition.
- Attend all staff meetings and carry out scouting assignments as outlined by the head coach.
- Model sport-like behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards players, officials, and spectators.
- Arrive before practice, contests and meetings to adequately prepare and remains long enough afterwards to help players with problems or to become involved in staff discussions.
- Help in the planning and implementation of both in-season and out-of-season conditioning and weight programs. Attendance should be consistent.
- Previous coaching experience in assigned sport is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree is desired.
- Current coaching authorization through the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
- Maintain required teaching certification.