The assistant coach for men's basketball is responsible for assisting the head men's basketball coach in implementing and directing all phases of a competitive NCAA Division III men's basketball program at DePauw University. This includes recruiting quality student-athletes, organizing and planning practices and game strategies, scouting, coaching, scheduling, budgeting and planning team travel in compliance with University, conference and NCAA rules and regulations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understand and comply with NCAA Division III, conference and University rules and regulations
- Demonstrate a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities for student-athletes
- Demonstrate sensitivity to individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds and a commitment to a diverse community
- Along with the head coach, implement a comprehensive recruiting plan for the identification and recruitment of qualified student-athletes
- As directed by the head coach, develop and implement plans and strategies for practices and competition
- As directed by the head coach, schedule games, make transportation and lodging arrangements for team travel
- Assist with managing the men's basketball operating budget
- Assist with evaluating program effectiveness
- Monitor student-athletes' academic progression
- As directed by the head coach, develop and coordinate community outreach and team fundraising events.
- Other duties as assigned by the head men's basketball coach and/or Director of Athletics
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Coaching and Development - Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas. Willing to receive constructive feedback and make adjustments that support efficiency, effectiveness and overall success.
- Consensus Building - Ability to bring about group solidarity to achieve a goal.
- Diversity Oriented - Commitment to valuing a variety of different experiences, encouraging input and collaboration from campus stakeholders, including being mindful of experiences related, but not limited to: age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic status, LGBTQ, and/or job type.
- Leadership - Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions.
- Relationship Building - Ability to effectively build relationships with students, co-workers, Alumni and community.
- Team Builder - Ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
- Training - Ability to develop a particular skill in others to bring them up to a predetermined standard of work performance.
Education: Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
Experience: Collegiate playing experience in basketball highly desirable.
Communication/Language: Basic: Ability to read, listen to and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write and communicate simple correspondence.
Math Ability: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Computer Skills: Hudl, KrossOver, FrontRush,Microsoft Office Suite, Internet, Google Apps, other programs as determined by specific sport responsibilities
* Excellent communication skills
* Commitment to and history of strong belief in mentoring students and demonstrated experience working with young adults