Under general direction, is responsible to assist with the management of a competitive NCAA Division I athletic program; assists with conditioning, practices, recruiting, travel arrangements, and student managers.
- Assists head coach in running team practices; assists in teaching offensive and defensive concepts; oversees drills; provides group and one-on-one instruction; assists in player development; remains informed on student athlete's academic progress.
- Performs recruiting related activities: contacts high school players through written or verbal means of communication; travels to various high schools to scout games; assesses the skills and abilities of potential student athletes; views and assesses high school game films, and provides feedback to head coach.
- Makes travel arrangements for the team and coaching staff for games played at other institutions; schedules departure and arrival times; makes reservations for hotel accommodations; provides information to visiting coaches.
- Oversees the activity of student managers; ensures assigned duties are completed.
- Assists in overseeing the conditioning and weight training program; ensures student athletes' progress and adherence to the activities which comprise the program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of a specific sport's concepts/strategies and NCAA rules and regulations.
Knowledge of physical conditioning techniques and weight training.
Knowledge of basic statistics.
Verbal and written communication skills.
Interpersonal/human relations skills.
Leadership and motivational skills.
Ability to assess athletic talent.