The purpose of this position is to recruit the best student-athletes from across the nation to play softball at Walters State. In the case of a commitment from an incoming student-athlete, this position coordinates the admissions, financial aid, and off-campus housing processes. In the softball program, this position provides guidance and direction to student-athletes in training, both on the softball field and in the weight room and also serves as an academic liaison for student-athletes.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for building and maintaining positive relationships with national and international prospective student-athletes in an effort to recruit them as members of the softball program. Related duties include organizing and managing on-campus showcases and camps designed to evaluate student-athletes. Recruiting responsibility includes traveling to athletic events to evaluate student-athletes. Assists the head coach with in-game strategies.
- Directs the training of student athletes through batting practices, demonstrations, pitching machines, hitting fungo groundballs and flyballs. Ability to throw batting practice is a crucial requirement of this job. This position will also be responsible for overseeing early morning strength and conditioning program with student-athletes.
- Provides academic support to student-athletes in order to rectify any missing assignments, lack of attendance, and overall academic progress. Also responsible for monitoring study hall sessions two-four times per week.
- Assists with maintaining the softball field to ensure proper function and safety for the players. Includes mowing, edging, watering, seeding, weed eating, as well as any other duties needed at the field.
- Regular high school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years softball coaching experience.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills for interacting with recruits and motivating players.