Under general supervision assists in ensuring that the district Vision, Mission and Goals are achieved and supports and reinforces a Varsity sports program that is educationally sound, athletically productive, and creates a positive learning experience for students. Reports to the school’s Athletic Director and Principal (or his or her designee).
- Supports and reinforces a productive Varsity sports program. Provides and ensures the maintenance of adequate and safe areas of play; ensures that all participants undergo thorough conditioning and proper education on the fundamentals of the sport;
- Responsible for the health and safety of student athletes; ensures that proper safety and first aid procedures are followed at all times; follows all appropriate emergency procedures; makes sure that all participants have a valid physical examination before participation; follows up on all injuries by calling parents, visiting at the emergency room/hospital, etc;
- Promotes and maintains positive relationships with parents and student athletes; conducts parent meetings prior to the beginning of the season; provides parents with his/her coaching philosophy and expectations, discusses “lettering” policy, insurance information, and warns of inherent risks of injury, etc.;
- Ensures appropriate behavior of assigned coaching staff, players, and other team personnel at all times;
- Ensures effective practice organization; the expectation is that all coaches will have a written daily practice plan and a master practice plan;
- Oversees the distribution and return of athletic equipment; all equipment must be accounted for before an athlete is eligible for a “letter” award or for further participation in athletic activities; follows up on all
delinquent equipment or uniforms owed to the school or District; ensures the inventory and proper storage of equipment and uniforms at the end of the season.
Working conditions are in both office and outdoor environments with exposure to various environmental conditions; requires ability to work under a degree of stress related to duties that require constant attention to detail; physical demands may require the lifting or moving of items weighing up to 35 pounds; occasional local or out-of-state travel is required; some overnight travel may be required; and job requires the operation of standard office equipment. Berkeley County School District is a smoke free district.