Carnegie Mellon University invites applications for an assistant coach in its intercollegiate softball program with the Department of Athletics. Primary responsibilities for this 12-month position include oversight of pitching staff, assist head softball coach with recruiting, skill instruction, student-athlete development, monitoring academic performance, community involvement, fundraising, camps, practice & game coaching.
- Coaching: Direct oversight and development of the pitching staff. Prepare, plan, conduct and evaluate practice sessions, as directed by the head coach. Candidate must be flexible in teaching methods and communication styles to connect with players while teaching player-to- player sport and position specific skills, during and after practice during the traditional and non-traditional seasons. Additionally, candidate must have an overall understanding of the game to assist in teaching progressions and drills during daily practice.
- Recruitment: Assist in the recruitment of student athletes. Attend off-campus games for the purpose of evaluation and contact. Coordinate mailing of recruitment materials and recruiting information. Maintain contact with prospective student-athletes. Plan campus visits with prospective student-athletes and their parents.
- Team Administration: Assist as needed with travel arrangements for team by completing the following tasks when requested by the head coach: meals for away games; process all paperwork before and after trips; create itineraries and work with opponents to schedule practice times. Maintain equipment inventory and oversee distribution to athletes. Maintain and update internal team statistics, scouting reports and game plans.
- Academics: Assist with monitoring academic performance, academic progress and class attendance of student-athletes and intervene when necessary.
- Campus/Community Communication: Interact with various campus offices and departments. Serve in a leadership role and promote participation in community service activities by student athletes. Teach in the Physical Education program. Maintain frequent and consistent public contact with high schools and clubs for recruitment, scouting and public relations efforts.
- Supervision: Overall supervision of the Volunteer Assistant. Assign responsibilities, tasks and statistics tracking to team Volunteer Assistant if applicable.
The University seeks an individual with demonstrated competitive success on the collegiate level with proven effectiveness in recruiting for an academically selective and culturally diverse institution. Carnegie Mellon has a world-renowned reputation with core values that reflect its commitment to hiring and retaining individuals with a diversity of talents, perspectives and experiences. A national research university, Carnegie Mellon is a member of the NCAA Division III and University Athletic Association. For more information about Carnegie Mellon University, visit our website at http://www.cmu.edu.
Qualifications: Master’s Degree preferred; Bachelor’s Degree required. Collegiate experience as a player and 1 – 2 years’ experience as pitching coach preferred. This position is a full-time 12-month appointment. Applicant materials should include a letter of interest, resume and contact information for three references (including name, title, address, phone number and email address). Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until appointment is made. Salary commensurate with experience. Background check required prior to employment.
Visit Careers@CarnegieMellon: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/ . Qualified candidates who can contribute through their work/life experiences to the diversity and excellence of the academic community are encouraged to apply. No phone calls please.
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world. http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/index.html. A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html.
Carnegie Mellon University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Job Function: Administration / Management
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Time Type: Full Time
Organization: CAMPUS ENGAGEMENT
Minimum Education Level: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent