The assistant coach supports the head coach for their assigned sport(s). In that support role, the assistant coach is responsible for helping to operate a program for student-athletes, who have differing abilities and skills, that pursues our complementary goals in Athletics of striving for athletic excellence and developing Christian character.
Skills, Characteristics Required for Position:
- Ability to coach, teach, and train student-athletes in skills and strategies specific to their sport.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the stages of student development and the importance of holistic education.
- Ability to establish appropriate and effective mentoring relationships with student-athletes.
- Ability to be a supportive team player within the department and the University.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- A working knowledge of computer programs and systems.
- Analyze performance and instruct athletes in skills, techniques and strategies in preparation for competition and during contests.
- Assist the head coach, as directed, in the coordination of general administrative duties (including budgeting, game scheduling, travel plans, meeting requests for information, hiring of officials, and business procedures).
- Communicate with the athletic trainer, sports information director, facilities assignor, and department administrators as directed by the head coach.
- As directed by the head coach, plan, organize, implement, and evaluate recruiting and scouting activities.
- Assist, as directed by the head coach, the Associate Athletics Director for Facilities and Equipment in matters for which s/he is responsible including ordering and inventorying of equipment, and maintenance and use of facilities for contests and practices.
- Adhere to and follow all rules and guidelines of Messiah University, Middle Atlantic Conference and the NCAA.
- Maintain consistent and reliable attendance.