MidAmerica Nazarene University, a premier Christian University located in Olathe, KS is seeking applications for the position of assistant softball coach. This is a full time 10-month contract.
- Promote the philosophy & objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program, including adherence & enforcement of all departmental policies & procedures, as well as University, Conference & NAIA regulations.
- Coach student-athletes within the softball program; participate in planning and implementing pre-season training program; team practice to maximize time, effort, safety and skill; monitor and encourage academic progress of the student-athlete culminating in their graduation; counsel student-athletes as needed in academic, disciplinary, and personal matters, including consulting with the Student Services personnel
- Provide for the safety and welfare of team members at all fitness levels working closely with the athletic training staff to ensure all student-athletes have had physical exams, as directed by the head coach.
- Recruit and retain outstanding student-athletes to the MNU softball program who excel academically; coordinate contacts with recruits and their families; meet with unsolicited potential walk on student athletes and their families; meet yearly recruitment goals set by the university.
- Experience in scouting, recruiting, and training student athletes.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing, in a manner consistent with professional standards, including making oral presentations to groups and contributing to the development of high-quality written materials which reflect positively on the University.
- Ability to consistently demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with persons both internal and external to the University, both on the telephone and in person. The ability to relate in a caring manner to students and families from a broad range of backgrounds, both in group situations and individually, and to effectively advise students and mediate disputes, some of which will be emotionally-charged.
- The ability to remain calm in crisis situations, to act decisively, and to apply sound judgment in determining appropriate action regarding interventions, assistance and referral of students to other University staff members.