Villanova University, a Division I institution and member of the Big East conference, has an opening for a full-time Assistant Coach for softball, with an emphasis on pitching. Assist the Head Coach in all aspects of the program including but not limited to on field coaching at training sessions, scouting opponents, recruiting, game day administration, and academic monitoring of student athletes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Head Coach with directing and supervising all activities relative to the training and skill development of student-athletes in preparation for competition.
- Provide technical skill instruction to aid in the development of student-athletes at practices; conduct individual training sessions with student-athletes geared at skill development, with an emphasis on pitching.
- At the direction of the head coach, develop and execute practice plans that will prepare the team physically and mentally for competition.
- Assist in the preparation of team for games by contributing strategies and aiding in daily preparation of organized and effective practices.
- Prepare scouting reports on opponents in preparation for competition.
- Monitor student-athletes academic progress ensuring student athletes meet eligibility standards and advance towards a degree.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 2+ years experience competing and/or working in a college softball program, preferably at the Division I level, in a coaching or manger role. Division I playing experience a plus.
- Understanding of budget issues and funds management.
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Extensive knowledge of softball.
- Understanding of the University’s mission and it’s philosophy regarding student-athletes.
- Must possess excellent organizational and communication skills, as well as the abilities to pay close attention to details, interact effectively and appropriately with student athletes, and evaluate prospects.
- Proficiency with personal computer applications.