To help each participating student achieve a high level of skill, an appreciation for the values of discipline and sportsmanship and an increased level of self-esteem.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaches participants in the assigned fundamentals and skills necessary for achievement in the sport involved.
- Assists in planning and scheduling a regular program of practice in season.
- Assists in overseeing the safety conditions of the facilities or area in which assigned sport is conducted at all times that students are present.
- Maintains and reports accurate statistics, record, and results of the season as directed by the head coach.
- Enforces discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times and establishes and oversees consequences for breach of such standards by individual students.
- Maintains competency in rules, rule interpretations, meet procedures, coaching techniques and general information about all aspects of the sport.
- Adheres to a highly efficient and technically sound program of injury prevention and follow up.
- Recommends purchase of equipment, supplies and uniforms as directed by the head coach.
- Maintains necessary attendance forms, insurance records, participant handbooks and similar paperwork as directed by the head coach.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Knowledge of conference, district and state rules in relevant sport.
- Ability to function effectively as part of a coaching team, support peer coaches, plan collaboratively, and work constructively with the coaching team to solve problems that arise.
- Possess the physical skills necessary to demonstrate techniques for the specific sport.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of students or employees of the District.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commission, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume.