- Assists the head swim team coach with instructing students in the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Organizes and directs individual and small group practice activities/exercises as directed by the head swim team coach.
- Assesses swimmer’s skills, monitors students during competition and practice, and keeps the head swim team coach informed of the athletic performance of students.
- Assists with determining game strategy.
- Assists the head swim team coach with supervising athletes during practices and competition.
- Follows established procedures in the event of an injury.
- Models sports-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards members, participants, parents, and spectators.
- Maintains the equipment room in orderly condition and assumes responsibility for its security.
- Distributes equipment, supplies, and uniforms to students as directed by the Head Swim Team Coach.
- Current CPR for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid/AED/Oxygen.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard Certification and YMCA Swimming Coach Certification. Child Protection Training must be completed.
- Thorough knowledge of skills and stroke mechanics.
- Previous competitive swimming and age group coaching experience helpful.
- Strong communication, organizational and leadership skills required.