Under the general supervision of the Aquatics Program Manager, performs varied tasks in instructing and administering Aquatics programs. Responsible for maintaining and improving upon the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under his/her direction and control. Performs varied and responsible duties requiring a thorough knowledge of departmental operations and the exercise of judgment and initiative in completing tasks, particularly in situations not clearly defined by precedent or established procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides participants of various ages and abilities with workouts and advises on swimming technique.
- Remains aware of all fitness and pool related classes and programs run by the Recreation Division.
- Provides adequate notice if unable to work a scheduled shift; arranges for a substitute coach and obtains approval from Management.
- Arrives on time and is ready to work when each assigned practice begins.
- Attends mandatory in-service training sessions and staff meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Specialized knowledge in Aquatics. Ability to teach and mentor members in skill-development and to fairly and tactfully enforce facility rules and regulations.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all members of the public, including children and young adults, in a courteous manner.
- Ability to maintain a variety of records and statistics.
- Ability to deal with multiple tasks at the same time.
- Regular attendance at the workplace is required.