Ferguson Parks and Recreation is looking for a seasonal Assistant Swim Team Coach to assist with operations and programs of the Ferguson Swim Team. Under the direct supervision of a Recreation Supervisor and the Swim Teams Head Coach, and in accordance with the Swim Team and City of Ferguson policies, the Assistant Swim Coach assists the head coach in providing direct leadership, instruction, and motivation for team members.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Must be able to demonstrate and instruct swimmers in the starts, turns and stroke mechanics of the four competitive strokes. (freestyle, backstroke, butterfly and breaststroke)
- Plan daily practice workouts.
- Lead stretching, dry-land workouts, and other cardiovascular exercise at times when practice in the water is unavailable.
- Set up and clean up lane ropes, starting blocks and other meet-related equipment.
- Must directly coach at least one group of swimmers.
- Attend all swim meets.
- Assists in overseeing individual and team entries.
- Assists in supervising athletes at meets.
- Encourage and motivate swimmers.
- Plan meet line-ups and complete appropriate paperwork for dual meets and conference meet entries.
- Requires a positive, can-do attitude with ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Must possess strong human relation skills.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills to handle problem solving and interpersonal skills to deal with people of all socio-economic levels.
- Subject to working a varied schedule including days, evenings and weekends.
- CPR certification required (provided by the City upon hire).