The Assistant Swim Team Coach is responsible for on deck instruction and coaching of swimmers. In addition, every position in the YMCA of Greensboro is responsible for upholding the Judeo-Christian principles that are central to our mission by modeling behaviors that exemplify the four pillars of character - caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Instruct swimmers in 4 competitive strokes, starts, turns and interval training.
- Encourage participation in swim meets and other team activities.
- Work at all GCY hosted meets and selected travel meets, as needed.
- Handle administrative tasks such as attendance, promoting swim meets and assisting with meet entries, etc.
- Attend educational activities and clinics.
- Combination of coaching, swim instruction or teaching experience plus competitive swimming background.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively with children. Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money, distance and time. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately using written, verbal and non-verbal methods. Ability to work as part of a team regardless of the expressed role within the team, and ability to changes roles as needed. Ability seek collaborations with staff, members and other organizations to reach a common goal. Ability to adapt to the changing needs of the Y and learn new skills sets to better serve in an ever-changing community and work environment. Ability to identify a problem, plan for and execute a solution for a desired outcome, involving others as needed. Ability to analyze and interpret data, and to crease action steps to address key information extracted from the data. Ability to resolve conflict by negotiating solutions that will serve the best interests of all parties.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. .
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, and peripheral vision.