To assist in the development of the program and work with the students/athletes in the sport assigned and to provide life lessons that will positively impact the physical, social and emotional well being of all who are involved.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Learns and adheres to the coaching philosophy and program of the head coach.
- Accept and implement the co-curricular philosophy of High School.
- Follows the rules and regulations of the school, the conference and the State High School League.
- Attend the rules interpretation meeting held by the State High School League.
- Assist to develop continuity between the community and school programs.
- Provide leadership in his or her program for all levels (9th, 10th, JV and Varsity) of the sport.
- Only allows athletes certified by the Activities Office to participate.
- Maintains appropriate supervision of his/her program at all times (locker rooms, practices, events, bus rides, etc.). Supervises any and all space used by athletes while they are present.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND/OR CERTIFICATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Virginia Teaching Certificate (preferred) or a HCPS substitute.
- Current district staff member (preferred).
- Previous experience in sport as participant and/or coach (preferred).
- Must meet the coaching requirements of the State High School League and/or the State Department of Education. (VHSL Coaches Education, CPR, First Aid, Child Abuse Recognition)
- Maintain certification in CPR and First Aid.
- Other qualifications as required by HCPS, HHS, or VHSL.
- Experience coaching in an Education Based athletic program (preferred).